Thursday, December 6, 2012

Guest post: The job search story of a soon-to-be new prof - I

A friend and regular reader of this blog, who will soon be starting a faculty position in India, has graciously agreed to write a few guest posts about his job search.  Here comes the first instalment : 


She repeated her question 3 times and each time I shook my head miserably.
"What?"... I kept asking in return. It seemed like yesterday that I stood before 
the American visa officer, straining to understand her accent.  She gave up 
soon after, but stamped my passport nevertheless. A month later, I stepped 
off the plane bravely into the land of the free. 

Like cars rolling off an assembly line, I am the standard Indian geek. Driven
by hormones and ego, I went through the four years of madness in high school, 
on to prestigious Indian institute and finally to middling American university for
my PhD. I had a desk of my own, an adviser and even some undergraduate
minions to lord over as a TA. All that remained was to get down to the business
of making stunning discoveries.

This last one turned out to be harder than I thought. I learned to recalibrate
my expectations and soon enough, life was good again. It was about this
time that I discovered my travel bug and also that I had a thing for schmoozing.
I had found myself the perfect profession to combine the two. My first time
in Europe was a dream; the continent beckoned with its shady roads, its
lazy lunches and exotic languages. I worked hard on perfecting the art of taking 
myself seriously. I cultivated fake hobbies such as a taste for fine wines and
even classical music... Western classical of course!

It was time to get older and wiser. Soon enough, they printed out a degree
for me and I was handed a postdoc with one of my adviser's collaborators.
With a little more cash in my pocket, I was beginning to appreciate America
more. And while I definitely appreciated the meaty pizzas and the free 
customer service, I was beginning to connect with America on a deeper level:
freedom.

Freedom: this was what I craved all along when I instinctively rejected all the
opinions of pushy parents and bossy teachers. I wanted to live it. Of course,
this is anything but easy when trying to build a publication record and 
faced with the tyranny of referees. But, I learned to keep my chin up. Once
again, not taking myself too seriously helped. 

I will stick my neck out and say here that everyone who goes abroad (except
in some extreme cases, perhaps) dreams of returning at some point. Like
so many other dreams... winning a Nobel prize, becoming a billionaire
or dating a supermodel, often these dreams don't come true. But for Indians
of my generation, who saw Saurav Ganguly waving his shirt around in the
balcony at Lord's as a signal to arms, the dream was easier to attain. India
was open for business and the possibilities seemed endless. I decided
to pick up my suitcase and jetset my way back home. But, older and
wiser that I was, I made a few prior arrangements. If Newprof so desires, you
folks will hear about it in another post :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dreamt of becoming a billionaire and returning to India. I fulfilled the second dream.

pramod said...

I don't understand the last paragraph. What does it mean to say that everyone dreams of coming back to India? If it really is a dream, it is one that is very easy to achieve unlike becoming a billionaire or winning a Nobel. If you want to go back to India just catch a flight home! What's hard about this? A shady Saudi airline is even offering ridiculously cheap fares now!

Perhaps I am being cynical or it is just that my social circle is different. What I hear is a lot of NRIs criticizing India and a lot of smug congratulations on getting out rather than any dreams of going back.

TTE said...

Pramod, cheapness being my middle name, could you please please let me know of the Saudi airline with ridiculously cheap fares...?

Ankur Kulkarni said...

Very nice post. And a succinct yet beautiful summary of the many complex changes one goes through in the years as a PhD or post-doc. As someone who is in a similar boat as yours, I could relate to quite a few of the lines who you written, especially this one: "I was beginning to connect with America on a deeper level: freedom.
Freedom: this was what I craved all along when I instinctively rejected all the opinions of pushy parents and bossy teachers. I wanted to live it."

I hope you write further parts too.

pramod said...

TTE, the airline is Saudia. It shows up if you search on Kayak. I was looking for fares a couple of weeks ago and I saw BLR/JFK/BLR round trips for about $600. Unfortunately, these fares are closer to $900 now.

The other way around (JFK/BLR/JFK) was more expensive. I also saw a $600 one way ticket from JFK to BLR yesterday which is what I was referring to in my comment but I'm not able to find that fare today!

TTE said...

Thank you Pramod for the tip, will keep Saudia in mind :)