Friday, December 14, 2012

Conflict of (non) interest?

Tomorrow, there is going to be a meeting about a very important issue which involves our department.  Thus, the department needs a representative to be present to clearly convey the departmental requirements/point of view and ensure that these are understood and taken into account.  Due to logistical reasons, the meeting is scheduled during a weekend.  As almost all my colleagues are on leave, I have to be present in the meeting.

Members of my department have had serious discussions about this matter and we have a proper plan of action.  So, technically speaking, I am prepared for this meeting.  As a responsible member of the department, I will do my best to convey the above requirements.  But, I am a little concerned that tomorrow's meeting might come to a final decision about this matter.  This is because I personally will not be affected by the outcome [I am leaving N1 in less than a week].  Members of my department, who will be affected by the outcome, may later feel unhappy with the decision.  Some may also feel that I did not push our department's interests strongly enough because I do not have long-term stakes in the matter.

It did not help at all when both my father and guest writer, on hearing about this meeting, advised me to take it easy and not get involved. "Just keep quiet during the meeting and don't react to anything," my father said.

I just called a colleague and requested him to go for this meeting instead, explaining my concerns.  Due to some urgent personal issues, he can't do so.  We once again went over the main points that need to be presented tomorrow.   He suggested that if there is any confusion, I can call him up to clarify.

It is possible that no final decisions will be taken tomorrow and this meeting is to just set the ball rolling, so to speak.  Apart from representing the department, I also need to communicate the outcome of the meeting to my colleagues so that there is no misinformation or gap in communication later.

This will be my last meeting at N1.  I just wish it weren't so important [1].





[1] On a totally unrelated note, it is not clear to me if one should say "I just wish it wasn't so important".  So, I googled and came across websites which talked about indicative mood vs subjunctive mood, formal vs informal, but am still confused.  Any help, blogosphere? 





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you have 2 options. You could think like an American and filibuster the meeting to get the final decision postponed.

The "Indian option" is, obviously, more colorful. You can choose between

1. attending the meeting but abstaining from taking part in the decision

2. walking out as soon as the meeting begins

3. Attacking the convenor verbally.

4. Filibustering the Indian way, which would mean telling lots of jokes and shayari...

Any of these options will give you lots of publicity :)

TTE said...

Later on, if your colleagues at N1 accuse you of selling their interests short, you can always claim that you dont understand English, so you dont know what happened at the meeting :P

Our great nation is blessed with so many great leaders. The least we can do is learn from them how to make excuses.

AK said...

Take your dad's advice, I am sure he is speaking from experience.

Moreover, professionally it was not correct on your colleagues part to entrust you with this when you are there for just one more week. If it were 'so' important and they have stakes in it, then it is their responsibility to be there to ensure 'the decision' is favorable to them or at least go down throwing punches.

If you are already committed and there is no way out then do your best and don't ever bother about what your colleagues will say or think because you cannot control or influence people who want to bad mouth you after you are gone.

Je said...

Do your best, fight for your department and get the best solution accepted. Fight like you are going to stay in the department forever !

You are representing the department and if you and the committee feel that you are not the right person to participate in this important meeting, ask them to postpone the decision making until somebody more appropriate (like the person who is going to replace you with the administrative responsibilities you currently having) can represent the department.

It's ironical that a department having close to 15 members have deputed a faculty member who is leaving in short time to attend such an important meeting ! What will they do after you leave !

Kaneenika Sinha said...

Hi,
Anon and TTE, thanks for hilarious suggestions. Although they could not be implemented, imagining their implementation relaxed me a little before the meeting.

AK and Je, my colleagues had made their plans long before this meeting was announced. No one had expected such an important meeting to be held at such short notice in the first weekend of the winter vacation. So, it was not really unprofessional on their part. It just could not be helped.
Je, I wish we had 15 faculty members! We are struggling with a much smaller number.

Anyhow, the meeting was smooth and did not require me to put up a fight. Our requirements were not denied or shortchanged- the meeting simply came up with methods to fulfill all these requirements.

Fortunately, no final decisions were taken and the department will be consulted again (on a date after I leave :) )