Sunday, May 31, 2015

If I could survive the next two weeks..


The next two weeks are going to be a handful.

By Saturday, I have to finalize a paper and lecture notes for a series of lectures.  In between this week, I have to examine a PhD thesis viva voce (thankfully via Skype). On Sunday, I will travel to Bhubaneswar for an ATM School in which I am giving the above mentioned lectures.  The scary part is that temperature at BBN is on the wrong side of 40, but the good thing is that I will get to stay in my favourite guest house.

Immediately after returning, I have to move to my new apartment at IISER.  The idea of packing, moving and unpacking is a bit daunting.  Instead of a big brand, I have hired a local packer and mover this time and even though I have good feedback about this company from my colleagues, I am still worried about things breaking or getting lost.  What if the packers show up late? The apartment security does not allow moving out after a certain time.  What if they don’t pack the items properly and it starts raining? On top of that, the movers mention that some local goons may gather around the truck and won’t let it pass unless you give them some money (it is called “Mahtari” in local parlance).  What if I don’t get the apartment keys on time (I am working with very short deadlines here as I have to travel again for a few weeks immediately after the move)?  What if the movers misbehave and don’t unpack or reassemble the furniture? What if this? What if that? Even as I write this, I realize that half of my fears are unfounded.  Strangely I had no fear at all while moving from Mohanpur to Pune, which was a much longer commute than the upcoming 4 kilometer move!  Then of course, there was the big move from Canada to Mohanpur!

My colleagues who have already moved seem to be settling down well – in fact, our registrar was the first to move into campus housing and has already taken care of a lot of issues.  So, I don’t have too many concerns about what happens after moving. Our new apartment offers pipeline gas – that itself takes care of one major hassle, that of going to a gas agency for issuing cylinders.  The dining complex is nearby: so, no worries if the kitchen is not set up immediately. 

I will finally get to live on campus: something for which I have been waiting for a very, very long time [remembering a campus housing experience from another lifetime :) ].

Now, if only I could survive the next two weeks…..




2 comments:

Ajit R. Jadhav said...

Kaneenika,

I am a guy local to Pune (was born here, though schooling happened in rural parts of Maharashtra), and still, I didn't know what "Mahtari" meant. So, curious, I googled, and the first few links I got were related to Chhatisgarh, folk songs, "Mahtari express," etc. Enough for me to get some vague idea as to where these folks are coming from. (Just in case you missed this thing, it was supposed to be a pun.)

The thing you mention is completely unlike the Pune I have always known (and still do in many major ways). It's possible that your packers and movers are taking you, rather than just your stuff, for a ride. (How's that for play on the words? (OK. I promise...))

Yes, your father has the right advice. Better, if the guy (your IISER colleague) knows Marathi.

Another point. When I moved my stuff from Mumbai to Pune a few months ago, I did pay the packers and movers (I mean the drivers and the workers) a bit above what was the officially agreed deal (which was finalized only with their boss, and which already was somewhat above the average market rate). But this additional payment I willingly made was strictly like a tip. If they were to demand it, or if they were to advance some "smart" reason, I would have flatly refused, and would have first called their boss.

... All in all, I don't think you should have a problem. Just in case you do, and can't get help locally within IISER, feel free to get in touch with me. Just knowing the local things (language, localities, customs) can help; that's how.

Best,

--Ajit
[E&OE]

Kaneenika Sinha said...

Ajit, sadly the extra money demand is a reality at least in this part of Pune - many of my colleagues have faced it. I spelt it wrong - it is called Mathadi (something to do with Mathadi Kamgar) and is money demanded by local workers because one did not hire them. The tip to movers is voluntary and is in addition to "Mathadi" and I really don't mind paying it. Thanks a lot for the offer to help. At the moment, things look okay - there's a strong possibility that my father will visit himself. He does not speak Marathi, but I doubt if they will mess with a military man :)