Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy N1-iversary

Today, I have completed my first year at N1.
I did not even realize it till some time in the afternoon when a security guard pointed it out to me!! He was the first person to receive me here when I reported on duty.  My father was accompanying me at that time  (to help me settle down in a new place and also to take a break from his job at the quiet and green campus of N1).  This guard thought that my father is the new faculty member and I am just following the dad around!  So did a few colleagues at the faculty club later that day!
In spite of my excitement while accepting N1's offer,  I was apprehensive and nervous while first moving here.  But, the generous welcome and support extended by the administration made the transition pleasant.
There have been some tough times, but everything has resolved itself beautifully.
I am grateful to have great colleagues in my department, encouraging mentors, good facilities to work (much more than one would expect in a new set up) and enthusiastic students*.  I am also grateful to be back in India among my own people and close to my family.
Tonight, I will celebrate by spending a quiet evening at home and reading Somerset Maugham's "The Razor's Edge", a book I have been meaning to read for a long time.
My next few posts will be about my move here, in the hope that some reader planning to move back to India can benefit from them.
Stay tuned.

* I am also grateful that our campus is guarded by security men with sharp eyes and memories :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Discovered your blog yesterday from your comment in another favourite blog of mine: academic jungle. I am so glad to find a blog by a young Indian academic in India! Enjoyed reading your posts, and I do hope you will stay around to share your experiences.

-Academic aspirant

pramod said...

Congratulations newprof! I hope you have many happy and productive years at N1.

Kaneenika Sinha said...

Hello, Academic Aspirant. Welcome to this blog. Academic Jungle is also one of my favourite blogs and in fact was the inspiration behind this one.
Good luck with your academic life.

Pramod, thank you very much for the good wishes.

See you both around.