Monday, June 6, 2011

Return of the N1ative

This post is slightly belated. Ideally, it should have appeared by the end of last week, but initial ground work and administrative work after rejoining has kept me on my toes. 
I am glad to be back at N1.  
Some of my hopes expressed in a previous post have fructified and some have not. 
Our new campus has made progress, but not as much as I imagined.  At the moment, some extra buildings near the old campus have been acquired for our incoming students this year. 
Things that I am very excited about: 
I have met and chalked out plans with my new PhD student and the summer students (more about this coming soon!).  
The library has got all the books that I had ordered before leaving.  
Three new faculty members are joining my understaffed department very soon and are bringing in research specialities that we very much need.  Some more interesting candidates will be interviewing soon.  
More faculty members are choosing to live inside the campus and are taking nice initiatives to improve life around here.
Non-academically speaking, it is mango season and as per my hopes, I get to eat fresh mangoes everyday from a tree right behind my house. 
All my other food desires, like fresh chapatis and summer veggies from a local farm have been fulfilled too. I have now happily resumed the policy of "eat local, think global".

Things that I am not so excited about: One of my favorite colleagues and my former office mate quit rather unexpectedly while I was away.  I now have a new office mate, who is a very nice person, but no substitute for my previous one.  
My hopes of drinking tea in Kulhar are dashed as the tea shop owner, in a modernization drive, has switched to regular cups, which seem to say, "Coffee, Tea: Love the new me."  
Sigh! everything in life is impermanent and subject to change, sometimes without notice!  
Finally, one of my neighbors, after meeting me remarked that I have become "healthy".  In India, this is a polite way of saying "Hey fatty, lose some weight".  My scales confirm her comment.  Sigh again :( 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi newprof, nice to hear about the developments in N1.

I laughed at your neighbour story. BTW, I too have become "healthy" in the last few months and am now trying to become unhealthy again. :-D

Kaneenika Sinha said...

ha ha ha. Let's try to be unhealthy without actually becoming unhealthy.